Thursday, April 5, 2012

21 weeks. Dead animals and blood.

21 weeks!


Continuing with the Frequently Asked Pregnancy Questions.......

Q: Have you had any aversions? or... Is there any food that makes you wanna barf all over the place?
A: Yes sir. Like I mentioned in my last post, I've had more intense aversions than I've had real cravings. I am my father's daughter and am in no way, shape, or form a picky eater. I love food and am open to trying just about anything. Which is why this whole "aversion" thing has been a new and probably the weirdest thing to me about pregnancy so far.

Two aversions that showed up sometime around week 6 or 7 and have not went away since then.....red meat and eggs. Red meat is a huge issue for me. I am without question a meat eater. I grew up on a farm with lots of cows and we were never lacking in the meat department in our freezer. And not just any meat, really REALLY good steaks. I could never be a vegetarian because I don't think I could give up my love of steaks. I like my steaks cooked medium rare and not one second longer. I judge people by the way they like their's cooked. I've been on dates where the guy orders a steak and I hold my breath when the waiter asks "how would you like that cooked?" Knowing that I will not be able to control my body language when they answer. I didn't even want to hear their answer because I knew what it would do for me, good or bad. It's a sickness really. I was with a guy for a long time that ordered his meat 'medium well'....I would literally cringe and develop an uncontrollable eye twitch every time he ordered. Not to mention I would send my apologies to the kitchen via the waiter for my boyfriend not having a clue what good steak tastes like. Looking back now I should have known things weren't going to work out for us in the long run.... Anywho, back to the point. Obviously I love steak. And luckily I married a man who also loves it and if I had to guess, we probably grill it at least once a week. Until Predator came along and took over my body. The thought of a medium rare steak sends shivers up my spine. Poor Chad is suffering as well since I don't want to eat it, he doesn't want to eat it in front of me. I thought that might be a first trimester thing, and although it has got much better, the fear of red meat still sticks with me. I have had a little steak a couple of times now and as long as it is cooked completely and all the way through, I can stand a little of it. I had a few issues with ground beef and chicken in the first three months, but that has been increasingly better in the last month. [One particularly traumatic meal of grilled chicken and pasta that Chad made during the first trimester made me spit it out in a napkin and dry heave in the bathroom while telling Chad to get the chicken THE EF OFF MY PLATE before I come back in there.] I can also walk past (and even order!) from the meat counter at the grocery store without smelling dead cows, chickens, and blood. Thankfully, Chad has been aware of this "issue" and always volunteers to help with dinner especially when it's a requirement to touch raw meat.

The egg thing isn't a huge deal to me since it really depends on what they look like. For example, as a "normal" person I prefer my eggs over medium or scrambled. Runny, yellow egg yolk....gross. Scrambled eggs have a similar effect on me. However, I can eat a cooked egg for say a breakfast sandwich....with bacon on it. It's something about the fact that it's whole and not in pieces that makes it okay. Well that and generally in life bacon makes everything better. As long as I'm not the one making the egg and having to look at it before it's cooked. I also eat (and can make) frittata which has a lot of cooked eggs in it. We made pasta carbonara one night for dinner and I couldn't even stand the smell of that. I felt like I was eating a raw egg and could smell a dead baby bird in the air. Needless to say, I did not have more than one bite.

And you're welcome for all of those visuals.

xo,
Brooke

2 comments:

Diane said...

This post was hysterical! I just laughed out loud (sorry LOL) over my coffee this morning...a thing I needed.
Good luck with your little one. I found your blog as a link on Avery's Blog....
What a sorrow, and a joy too. I pray your little one is healthy.

Brooke said...

Glad I could give you a much needed laugh! :) Thank you for the sweet thought, I pray every night our little one is healthy too.